Permits Required for:

Erect, construct, alter, remove or demolish any building or structure (including fences, retaining walls and swimming pools).
For any electrical or plumbing work greater than $500/$1,000 in a 12 month period.
To construct or alter any sidewalk, curb or driveway in public rights of way.

Not Requiring Permits:

When any electrical or plumbing work is done by a licensed contractor and the value of the work is less than $500/$1,000 in a 12 month period
Curbs, planter boxes, retaining walls and fences which are not more than 30" in height
Individual residential TV and radio antennas excluding dish-type antennas
Painting, cabinet work and floor covering
Tool and storage sheds not exceeding 120 sq. ft. as accessories to dwellings
Repairs using similar or same materials for the purpose of maintenance and which are not more than $1,000 in valuation in any 12 month period and do not affect any electrical and plumbing work.
What are the most frequently asked questions fielded by DPP?
Is a property in a flood hazard area?
What can I do with my property?
Is there road widening planned for my property?
If you want an accurate response to a question, write the question stating your question clearly and ask for an answer in writing.

What is the difference between legal nonconforming units and legal nonconforming use units? How much can you remodel in a given year? Can you tear down and build?

Legal non-conforming units were legal at the time the buildings were built but through changes in the law, the buildings are not conforming to the current code. If more than 50% of the building is destroyed by natural disaster or an owner demolishes the building, that building may not be rebuilt according to the old building configuration.
Legal non-conforming use properties are properties that were legal at the time it was built but the underlying zoning has changed so that the property is both legal non-conforming and the current use of the building is not in compliance with the current code. For example, a mom and pop grocery store was built in an area of houses and the zoning was changed to residential. The use of the building as a grocery store is allowed as a grandfathered use but as soon as that building is destroyed by more than 50%, the grocery store must be changed to residential use.
Legal nonconforming properties are allowed to remodel up to 50% of the replacement value of the building in any 12 month period.
Legal nonconforming use properties are allowed to remodel up to 10% of the replacement value of the building in any 12 month period.
You may be able to tear down and rebuild a legal nonconforming property but you must make sure that permits are obtainable before tearing down the building.
Legal nonconforming use properties will not be able to tear down and rebuild unless zoning variances are obtained first.


Main Office: 1585 Kapiolani Boulevard, Suite 1533, Honolulu, Hawaii 96814 | Click here for Directions
Phone: 808-791-1020 - Fax: 808-791-1021
© 2017 Century 21 iProperties Hawaii. All Rights Reserved.
CENTURY 21® and the CENTURY 21 Logo are registered service marks owned by Century 21 Real Estate LLC. iProperties Hawaii LLC fully supports the principles of the Fair Housing Act and the Equal Opportunity Act. Each franchise is independently owned and operated. Any services or products provided by independently owned and operated franchisees are not provided by, affiliated with or related to Century 21 Real Estate LLC nor any of its affiliated companies.